Sunday, July 24, 2005

How to Dispute Credit Report Errors

How to Dispute Credit Report Errors

The Federal Trade Commission ("FTC") offers a very informative website that instructs consumers on how to obtain a free credit report so that can dispute inaccurate entries on their credit reports. The FTC even provides a sample letter that you can send to the credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and Transunion) to dispute inaccurate entries.

You should dispute any inaccurate entries in writing and provide supporting documentation. The credit reporting agencies generally have 30 days to "reinvestigate" the disputed item or remove it from your credit report. The procedure is fully described at the FTC website.

You should also notify the creditor in writing that you dispute an item. Be sure to include copies (NOT originals) of documents that support your position. Many creditors or information providers specify an address for disputes. If the provider reports the item to a consumer reporting company, it must include a notice of your dispute. And if you are correct—that is, if the information is found to be inaccurate—the information provider may not report it again.

This publication is NOT INTENDED TO SERVE AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR LEGAL ADVICE. Please consult with a licensed attorney if you require legal advice.

About the Author: Carl H. Starrett II, has been a licensed attorney since 1993 and is a member in good standing with the California State Bar and the San Diego County Bar Association. Mr. Starrett practices in the areas of bankruptcy, business litigation, construction, corporate planning and debt collection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you dispute more than 1 item at once?